Saturday, September 17, 2005

Niam Niam Kiap Kiap

When I was a kid I used to stay with my Ah Chia ( In Hakka that
means my mother's mother ) and later I stayed with Ah Boh,
another storty that is.

My parents were ( my mom still is today, father retired 1997 ) teacher
so they didn't have the time to take care of me during day time.

Hence what they did was just throw me to Ah Chia's house near
Jalan Chin Hwa, Kuala Krai and let Ah Chia handles me.

From Ah Chia who speaks Hakka, I have picked up a lot of Hakka
course until I could speak Hakka better then my Cantonis cause
my father side is Cantonis.

When I first came to KL about 8 or 9 years ago, I spoke Cantonis
exactly like Richie Ren or Hsu Chi like that... people LOL when I
spoke Cantonis infront of them and knew immediately that I
was lot local KL or Ipoh, sure some ulu-ulu people.

But the things today that I am going to write is about some
Hakka terms that my Ah Chia used ( till today still use actually )

1. Niam Niam Kiap Kiap
===================
Means a person who the skin is sticky. Like right now, I am Niam Niam
Kiap Kiap cause the weather in KL is so hot that, right after I took
bath this morning, I began to sweat again.

Why? Thanks to the hot weather + the haze !! Fog you !!

2. Am Mor Si Soh
=============
Means a situation which is very-very dark. Like mid night when you
drive from KL to Seremban after Nilai area, before Seremban, I think
that stretch of High Way does not have street light.
Hence, I always call that stretch Am Mor Si Soh !!

3. Chet Ku
========
Thief or Pencuri.

4. Doh Doh
========
A lot.

5. Hmm Hau
=========
Do not.

6. Chok
======
Catch, tangkap

7. Ngai
======
Me, i , saya, aku, ku.

8. Ngi
=====
You, Lu, Engkau, Anda, Kamu, Mu, Kau,


So, do you know know, what does this poem mean?

Am Mor Si Soh
Chet Ku Doh Doh

Hmm Hau Chok Ngai
Chok Hsu Chi or Richie Ren

LOL !! This one is for Ah Chia who tought me Hakka until my
Diploma of Hakka Graduation LOL !!!

Thank you, Ah Chia !!

No comments: