Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Rainy Days in Kelantan

One of the season that I love very much is Raining Season, I
discovered this 20 or 25 years ago when I was 4 or 5 years old.

This is one of the thing that I can remember since I was a kid !!!

Back then I was staying in Kelantan, Kuala Krai when I was a kid
and everyone that I love was there !!! My grandma, just turned
70 a few weeks ago, and all her sons and daugther ( my uncles
and aunties ) including my mom that is !!

We stayed at the lowest part of Kuala Krai in the 1980s, that
would be the inner part of Jalan Chin Hwa, near the Kong Kong
Miau ( LOL !! WTF? Kong Kong Miau ??? ) yeah that's what we
have been calling that Chinese Temple for the past !! LOL !!

Our ( my grandmother's ) house was a double story, wooden
made errr... bunglo yeah !! Behind the house was something like
a swamp or wet lands where we farmed some fruits and had our
own chicken and ducks !!!

I remembered how my youngest aunty Lin Lin when she was in
Form 4 or Form 5 how she prepared all those mixed rice for the
chicken and ducks !!

And these chickens and ducks were always "hentam"ed by the
King Cobras that roamed freely along others wild animal like Fox
and stuff like that.

Sorry, but there were no Tiger or Leapord or Elephant in Kuala
Krai then... perhaps in the Zoo if I am not mistaken !!

Anyway, just to describe to you how was our old house like.

And normally at the year end the Monson season arrived with
a lot of rains and at the end of the day, Kuala Krai and many
places of Kelantan get flooded because of the rain.

I don't know why, but all of us Kelantanese actually enjoyed the
flood and the rains even till today.

  • Pros of the rain and flood in Kelantan :

  • When it rains, we feel cold. I like cold !
  • When it rains, the sky turns grey. I like grey sky !
  • When it rains for many-many days, it get flooded !!
  • When it gets flooded, the adults don't have to work !!
  • When the adults don't have to work, they spend time with me!
  • When adults spend time with me, I became very happy !!
  • LOL ! I love raining and flooding season!!
  • When it floods you could see all sorts of stuff !! like


  • Shit flowing out of sewege tanks like sea cucumber like that.
  • 8 inches long centipede swimming.
  • 2 foot long cobra swimming towards you -_-".
  • A lot of frogs.
  • Your ducks swimming happily and ask you:" Where is lunch?"
  • Some of your chicken died.
  • Some of your chicken stayed on the tree branches, chilling !!
  • See your neighbours cursing cause the cloths can't dry.
  • The adults sometime put me in a big bathing pail, like a boat!!
  • Everyone in town comes out from their house to walk in the
    flood like carnival, really !! That's why I am proud to be a Kelantanese.



  • Cons
  • Your cloths can't dry on time, let the adults worry about that.
  • Some of your chicken get drowned -_-"
  • You can't use the toilet cause it is 5 foot below water level.
  • You have to move your house furniture to 1st floor or away.
  • You have to wash your house like mad ( the mud ) later on!
  • Some adults will throw a 8 inch centipede into the pail that
    I was sitting in and enjoy seeing me panic -_-" like hell !!

    Well, as a kid, it was so much of fun there !!! And that's why I
    always appreciated for being able to grow up in Kelantan.

    After the flood it still rains sometimes, one day when we were
    cleaning up the house after the flood my uncle Addy Ho stepped
    on the slippery staircase and fall down, luckily he used his buttock
    to land, plum, plum, plum, plum, plum, plum, I can't remember how
    many steps of staircase that he used his buttock to land but it was
    damn funny.

    His buttock was so painful but all of us ( especially me ) can't help
    but laughing at him. I think he was the one who thrown the centipede into the pail carrying me !!! Padan sama dia mia muka LOL!

    Well, it's always nice to be able to remember all these memories!!


  • No comments: